Continuing Medical Education Accreditation
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and Policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of Boston University School of Medicine and the ASCI-AAP. Boston University School of Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Accreditation and Credit Designation
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and Policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the Boston University School of Medicine, the American Society for Clinical Investigation and the Association of American Physicians. Boston University School of Medicine
is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Boston University School of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 9 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of
their participation in the activity.
Nurses and other health professionals will receive a Certificate of Attendance. For information on applicability and acceptance, please consult your professional licensing board.
Download the CME claim document
Edward Alexander, MD
Boston University School of Medicine
Program Planning Committee
Paul Rothman, MD - AAP President
Johns Hopkins University
Stanley Lemon, MD - AAP President-Elect
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Christine E. Seidman, MD - AAP Vice President
Brigham and Women’s Hospital - Harvard Medical School
J. Larry Jameson, MD, PhD - AAP Immediate Past President
University of Pennsylvania Health System, Perelman School of Medicine
Mukesh K. Jain, MD - ASCI President
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Levi Garraway, MD, PhD - ASCI President-Elect
Harvard Medical School, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Peter Tontonoz, MD, PhD - ASCI Immediate Past President
University of California, Los Angeles, David Geffen School of Medicine
Lori Ennis - Executive Director AAP, Ex Officio Committee Member
John Hawley - Executive Director ASCI, Ex Officio Committee Member
As a result of this meeting, participants will be able to:
- Discuss important recent advances in the scientific basis of disease and therapy
- Describe novel strategies to address challenges to the physician-scientist
- Evaluate the roles that improved understanding of these advances and strategies can play in the potential treatment of human disease
Any physician-scientists, trainees, and students, across a broad range of specialties (Basic Research, Cardiology / Cardiovascular Research, Cell and Molecular Biology, Endocrine and Metabolism, Hematology, Immunology, Infectious Diseases, Nephrology, Neurology, Pulmonology, others.
The Joint Meeting Planning Committee strives to represent the cutting edge of biomedical research and medicine. The Committee is especially interested in identifying gaps in knowledge that may exist in the target audience, which consists of physician-scientists, research scientists, clinicians and medical education professionals. The meeting also targets junior scientists and trainees, who benefit from close interaction with
The 2015 ASCI/AAP Joint Meeting program will feature lectures by accomplished researchers who will discuss state-of-the-art advances in their respective fields. The program is designed to foster in-depth discussions and close interactions among the meeting participants.
DISCLAIMER: THESE MATERIALS AND ALL OTHER MATERIALS PROVIDED IN CONJUNCTION WITH CONTINUING MEDICAL EDUCATION ACTIVITIES ARE INTENDED SOLELY FOR PURPOSES OF SUPPLEMENTING CONTINUING MEDICAL EDUCATION PROGRAMS FOR QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS. ANYONE USING THE MATERIALS ASSUMES FULL RESPONSIBILITY AND ALL RISK FOR THEIR APPROPRIATE USE. TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS WHATSOEVER REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, CURRENTNESS, NONINFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OF THE MATERIALS. IN NO EVENT WILL TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY BE
LIABLE TO ANYONE FOR ANY DECISION MADE OR ACTION TAKEN IN RELIANCE ON THE MATERIALS. IN NO EVENT SHOULD THE INFORMATION IN THE MATERIALS BE USED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL CARE.
Full Disclosure Policy Affecting CME Activities
Boston University School of Medicine asks all individuals involved in the development and presentation of Continuing Medical Education (CME) activities to disclose all relationships with commercial interests. This information is disclosed to CME activity participants. Boston University School of Medicine has procedures to resolve any apparent conflicts of interest. In addition, faculty members are asked to disclose when any
unapproved use of pharmaceuticals and devices is being discussed. It is understood that presentations must give a balanced view of therapeutic options. Faculty use of generic names will contribute to this impartiality. The speaker will make every effort to ensure that data regarding the company’s products (or competing products) are objectively selected and presented, with balanced discussion of prevailing information on
the product(s) and/or alternative treatments.
2015 Joint Meeting Faculty Disclosures
The following faculty indicated that they have financial relationships to disclose. They have agreed to disclose this to participants. All other named faculty in this program have completed financial disclosure forms and had no financial relationships to report.
- Richard Ehman President, CEO, equity holder, in Resoundant, Inc.
- Jeffrey Friedman I am listed on the leptin patent and receive a portion of the royalties
- Daniel Geschwind Consultant, Medical Advisory Board Novartis Consultant Advisory Board SynapDx
- Gail Hecht Dannon - Scientific Advisory Board member
- Rudolf Jaenisch Fate Therapeutics - consultant Stemgent - consultant
- Jeffrey Kline Consultant-- Janssen Pharma Grant support-NIH Consultant--Stago Diagnostica
- Mitchell Lazar Eli Lilly and Company (Board Member) Pfizer Inc. (Board Member) KDAC Therapeutics, Inc (Board Member) Janssen (Consultant) Merck Inc. (Grant Support)
- Jeffrey Leiden 1. Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Inc. - Chairman, CEO, President & shareholder 2. Quest Diagnostics -Director, shareholder 3. Claurs Ventures - Former Managing Director, Senior Advisor
- Stanley Lemon Merck - Consultant, research support AbbVie - Consultant, other Theravance - Consultant
- Alfred Sommer Just finished being a Director of Becton Dickenson. My “retirement” payout will span 10 years
- Craig Thompson Board of Directors: Merck, Charles River Laboratories, NY Genome Center; SAB/stock holder-Agios; CEO- MSKCC; SAB- MDA, City of Hope
- Victor Velculescu 1. Personal Genome Diagnostics (PGDx) : Founder/BOD/Officer - Shareholder 2. Quintiles : Member of Sci. Ad. Board - Honorarium
Disclosure of Unlabeled/Investigational Uses of Drugs or Devices
None of the faculty has indicated that they plan to discuss unlabeled or investigational uses of products or devices.
2015 Joint Meeting Program Committee Disclosures
The following program committee members indicated that they have financial relationships to disclose. They have agreed to disclose this to participants. All other named program committee members in this program have completed financial disclosure forms and had no financial relationships to report.
- Levi Garraway Foundation Medicine: co-founder, stockholder, and consultant (myself) Novartis: sponsored research support and consultant (myself) Boehringer Ingelheim: consultant (myself)
- Paul Rothman Board Member Cancer Genetics Inc.
- Christine Seidman CES is a founder and owns shares in Myokardia Inc., a startup company that is developing therapeutics that target sarcomere.
Claiming CME Credit
Participants who wish to claim CME credit will receive a CME Credit Claim Form and a Required Evaluation with conference materials. In order to claim credit, these forms must be completed and returned to the conference registration desk or mailed to:
Attention Erika Moy, The Kellen Company,
111 Deer Lake Road, Deerfield, IL 60015 no later than
May 25, 2015, in order to receive credit.